Thursday, November 14, 2013

Save two PSDs please!

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Had a bit of a setback, and I figured I'd pass on the warning. I've been using Photoshop for almost ten years now, and I've always been fairly unconcerned with backing up my files. But like everyone who plays with fire, I have finally been burned. For some reason while working on my Viking/warrior piece my computer BSOD'd with a memory error and corrupted my PSD. I had no secondary PSD and no full size jpeg, so I basically lost all my work. I tried everything to retrieve the PSD, but as you can see below, the best I could do wasn't nearly good enough:


So learn from my mistake as I now have, and save two PSD versions of all of your photoshop files, especially when they're large and use up your computers resources. Anything can happen. Many of the people I read about who had similar problems were simply saving their files and the power went out, or a fuse blew, or whatever. That can corrupt files as well. It takes about an extra two seconds to save the second version every time, and it's always worth it to save twenty hours of work.

So I posted the front view to my website, www.jaymesthompson.com, and had to cut my losses. Time to move on!

So I don't know if any of the people that visit my blog play Skyrim, but I've played it quite a lot and I'd love to work for Bethesda one day. So I've started working on some Skyrim fan art. Here's some work in progress on that piece.



I've also been doing some character sketching. Hope you guys enjoy and I'll see you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment